Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Goodwill and Hunting...Huh?

I recently found this unfinished board "thingy" at Goodwill. (Unfortunately, I taped it off and started painting it before I took a "before" picture, as usual I got in a big hurry to get started.) So anyway,here are the steps I took to make it into a useful message center. Just another angle of the before board.
Here it is after the chalkboard paint was applied. Seems a little boring don't you think?


Adding some scroll work seemed to help it...but I wasn't satisfied yet.


Adding the vinyl lettering was the finishing touch it needed. Now it will be put aside with all of my other makeovers I am getting ready for the bazaar in November.


Shopping at Goodwill, as Forrest Gump would say, "is like eating a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get." I guess I can relate to all of the hunters getting ready for deer and elk season. There is something about the "HUNT" that fuels the adrenalin.
I am off on another hunt for a unique item to do a makeover on.
HEAD ON OVER TO KIMBA'S BLOG,
A SOFT PLACE TO LAND, FOR MANY OTHER BLOGGERS' DIY PROJECTS. THERE ARE SO MANY TALENTED PEOPLE WHO SHARE IDEAS THAT YOU CAN'T HELP BUT BE INSPIRED.

12 comments:

Reid said...

Looks great!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

Nice message center!

Sandra said...

Wow, you did a great job. Love it!
Sandra

Jane said...

I love the message center...you did an incredible job painting that scroll work...and your right....the vinyl letters were definitely the finishing touch...it looks great!!

Brenda said...

I really like this. What an eye you have to think of this use.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Very cute. I agree that the hand painting and vinyl lettering really makes it special.

Anonymous said...

Very cute- I really like the scrolly going on!

blessings
mary

Cecelia---Sis---Mom said...

Now that is just too cute!! The addition of your vinyl really finished it up.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Cece

Unknown said...

Good job. I would have walked right past and never thought to paint it up. The vinyl lettering is the cherry on top!

Phyllis @Around the House said...

Wow that board looks great, where did you get the vinyl letters and how did you make that swirl on the top and bottom...so professional thanks for sharing...

Sue said...

Hi Connie, This is a really nice example of turning a sow's ear into a silk purse! The swirls were a good start, but the addition of the vinyl was the crowning glory to this message board. You're a crafting queen! Thanks for stopping by my leaf tutorial post. Always nice to meet someone new.
Off to check your older posts...
:-) Sue

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you stopped by my blog and left a comment. It was fun to find yours! I love it and am your newest follower. :)