Saturday, September 5, 2009

BRING ON THE FALL DECORATIONS

I am joining the Metamorphis Monday party over at Between Naps on the Porch. It will be worth your while because of all of the talented people who participate by sharing their makeovers.
I recently found two planters at Goodwill that sat in the garage waiting for inspiration to hit. They were pretty pathetic, painted red with some white showing through, not very attractive.


Out came the spray paint and the fun began.




.Here are the before pics of the planters.

Kind of sad.








The price was not so bad, I just knew I could make a difference.




Nothing like black spray paint to give new life.






Now this is where the inspiration set in. A few pumpkins, some fall leaves and vinyl lettering were gathered together.
I got the pumpkins at Michaels with my 40% off coupon.






This picture is a little dark but you can see where I am going with this. I turned the planter upside down so that the pumpkin would fit.








This 3M sticky tape is what I used to attach the garland of fall foilage onto the bottom of the planter









I had to turn the planters upside down because the pumpkins were too small. It was a happy accident, I like it better that way.







I needed to cut off the stems of the 2 bottom pumpkins in order to get them to fit.







Vinyl lettering. This shows me peeling the backing paper off and the lettering.




The lettering will be in the mirror image on the tape.



Apply lettering to the pumpking and smooth over with your fingers in order to get the letters adhered. Gently peel off the tape and the letters will stick.




Smooth, Smooth, Smooth.






I hot glued the pumpkins together then the lettering was applied.


I cut a fall garland to size and stuck it to the 3M tape just inside the rim of the planter. You don't want to permanently glue the garland to the planter becuase when you put away the fall decorations you can still use the planters next spring to plant flowers in.

I hot glued leaves from an old fall garland between the two bottom pumpkins. I then clipped some small maroon berries from the garland and glued those in between the top 2 pumpkins. The leaves on the top were actully on this particular pumpkin so no need to add anything there.

Double click on any of the pictures for a close up look.



I also wound grapevine around the bottom.

I hope this post has inspired you to get creative with some fall decorating. Please feel free to leave me a comment.

49 comments:

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

BRAVO! Great job, you have inspired me for sure. I totally need something like this for my front porch! I just so happen to have a planter just like that lying around waiting for a purpose.

Cecelia---Sis---Mom said...

Both of these are just gorgeous!!! I have wanted to do two of these for the last few years for my front door, hopefully I will get to it this year.

Cece

Natasha said...

Those are way CUTE!!!!

Rainy Day Farm said...

I want those too! Start my list!

Anonymous said...

Wow - you are one creative lady! I live in the desert where fall is over 100 and we rarely have leaves change color - I feel like I miss fall entirely. I really like the sayings you put on your pumpkins!

cinnibonbon said...

I loved that you shared this!! That turned out fabulous.

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

You are so clever! They look great!~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Caro said...

Oh i LOVE you! What a fabulous idea!!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Love your idea...looks like I need to get a start on my fall items...need some white pumpkins...off to Michaels I go!

Blessings,
Linda

linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com

Lori said...

That totally rocks my socks!!! Well done!!

Anonymous said...

This is awesome. Very creative. Thanks for sharing.

Sue said...

What a clever and creative idea. Your pumpkin topiaries are inspiring me to create something similar. Thanks for your idea!
:-) Sue

Linh C. said...

Awesome project! Did you get the vinyl lettering from Michael's?

Signing Out said...

These look fantastic! Gotta love the 40% off coupon from Michael's. I used mine yesterday. :)

Jane

Julie said...

Wow this is great....
xoxo
Julie

Beth said...

How creative! And I love the simple but powerful message: Give Thanks.

Sherrie said...

This is amazing! I never thought of using vinyl lettering on pumpkins. what a great idea!

Sherrie

Connie said...

To Linh C.,

I have a vinyl lettering machine that I do my own lettering on. If you are interested in getting some of the lettering I sell it. You can link up to my vinyl lettering blog at the top left hand side of this blog.

Michelle said...

Love the stacked pumpkins...so clever and perfect for the upcoming holidays!

Good job.

Michelle@Spend-a-Buck

Mary said...

This is just beautiful! It is so nice to see a pumpkin being used for something beside a Halloween face! You did a fantastic job! Happy MM!

Mary

sara@augustfields said...

cute cute cute! i'm so looking forward to fall :)

From the Old InkWell said...

What a great job you did! Looks very professionally done!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Absolutely wonderful.. what a great idea..you've certainly inspired me.hugs ~lynne~

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

What a wonderful job! Looks fantastic!

Roeshel said...

Wow! Gorgeous! Great job! I love what you've done! Looks like a great DIY Show Off Fall Festival submission too! ;)

I'm a new follower! It's nice to "meet" you!

Roeshel

Jane said...

Love, love, love it!!! These look fabulous. I also appreciate all the details on how you put them together. Thanks!!!

Lynda said...

I love it!!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

WOW! Now that is creative!! I also had no idea you could buy letters like that and put them on things! I am learning all sorts of things! The different subtle colors of the pumpkins, the grapevine, all of it..just wonderful. (and of course you KNOW I love the black!)
Have a wonderful day! GREAT post!
Mona

Alyssa said...

Great idea! I love it...
wonderful inspiration for me to get into the fall holiday spirit.

bee'nme said...

Clever girl!! These are STUNNING! I like how your mind works...painting the pots and turning them upside down, using pumpkins for topiaries, using vinyl lettering...SO creative and bold! LOVE them...and yes I am inspired!! (Fall cannot get here to soon in my opinion!) You should submit this idea to a craft magazine!! I like the inclusion of the assembly steps...thanks for taking the time to document that.

Have a great week!

Blessings,
Becky S.

ImagineCozy said...

What a transformation!
I would not have guessed how it would turn out. Very creative.

-Angela

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

So creative! I love all of this -- it looks wonderful and will be perfect all Fall.

trish said...

Very nice!

Debbie at the Shabby Bungalow said...

Wow they look absolutely fantastic - thanks so much for sharing - what a wonderful transformation :)Thanks for popping by my blog

Joan said...

Ah-ha! I have seen white pumpkins decorated with lettering before and I just thought the decorator was so skilled in writing. Now, I know! Thanks for visiting Applejack Lane!

nannykim/spindle cottage said...

Nice job--the before look of the red was pretty bad. I love the new black!

Anonymous said...

They turned out very nicely!

kayleeg2005 said...

I really love how you did this, it looks great! can u tell me exactly how you got the lettering on the pumpkin with the tape? I'm kinda new at this crafting stuff, thanks...
kaylee g.
divinevintage.blogspot.com

Laura said...

Oh my gosh! That looks amazing!

I am off to Michael's-

Laura

Fifi Flowers said...

FAB project... looks great and festive!

Kimberly said...

Oh my goodness..you are very clever! I just posted a party "Show Us Your Fall, Y'all"...please link your blog post! I love fall!

Simply Debbie said...

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PROJECT AND SO SWEET OF YOU TO SHARE HOW YOU MADE IT.....THAT LOOKS LIKE SMETHING A PROFESSIONAL WOULD DESIGN....I SEE A BOOK IN THE MAKINGS FOR YOU.
SO VERY PRETTY...I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO EVER PASS UP ANOTHER PLANTER EVER BECAUSE BY CHRISTMAS YOU MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO MAKE WITH ONE. I LOVED THAT IT ENDED UP BEING UPSIDE DOWN...I LOVE IT BETTER THAT WAY.
I JOINED AS A FOLLOWER SO I CAN KEEP UP WITH YOU. YOU ARE MARVELOUS.
WOULD LOVE FOR YOU TO STOP BY AND SEE ME IF YOU HAVE TIME.
ANGEL HUGS
debbie

Sandra said...

Hello! What a nice idea! I come via Amy @ http://keepnthesunnyside.blogspot.com/
I love your topiary! I am making one as we speak and thought i'd come to visit your blog. I hope you don't mind me following along your blog and come visit me some time as well. Take care.
Sandra

Kimmy said...

What awesome ideas! I absolutely LOVE the vinyl lettering on the pumpkins, so cute!

Andy Porter said...

Ooh! Very cute! Love the vinyl on the pumpkins! I'm going to have to do that this season! Nice to meet you!
Andy @ poppies at play!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Very pretty! I am in the process of making something along this line and happened upon your blog. Wonderful post! Cindy

Christine said...

Love it!!!

Emily said...

LLOOOVVVEEE IT! Me want one too :)Don't you also love all the fun stuff you can do with vinyl? My cutter was ssooooooo worth it!

erin@my little creative outlet said...

oh my gosh! OH MY GOSH! that is awesome! I love that you saw a sad little planter and envisioned this! that is amazing. so so creative!