Friday, May 21, 2010

From Cupboard Door To Menu Board

I found this cupboard door recently at the ReStore (Habitat For Humanity) for$1.00. I figured there was something I could do with it. I decided to make it into a menu board to sell in the craft bazaar. Here was the condition it was in to start with. It was water damaged on one end so I knew I would need to sand it down.
After sanding I applied a coat of primer (Kilz) and let it dry.
I taped off the frame and sprayed chalkboard paint on the center section.

I then removed the tape from the edges and taped paper to the center section so I could spray the frame (I forgot to take a picture of this step).


I added the vinyl lettering and some black upholstery tacks to the frame for interest.


Because there were eight sections it left a space so I thought I would make a "requests" space. I am always up for ideas from others. I have joined up with Poppies at Play for some linky fun.


.

...and at Along For The Ride




And Between Naps On The Porch

23 comments:

Lori said...

I love this! Great job. The tacks added just enough and the requests square was a stroke of genius!

Jane said...

That is fabulous! I love how you were able to transform the door into such a usable piece. That will sell in a heartbeat!
Have a great weekend.
Jane

One Life Many Journeys said...

That looks like a project that might make me get a little more organized with planning my meals. I think I need to go to Habitat to get a door! Great job and good idea too!

Amy said...

Connie.. I LURV this! What a great idea. I want one!

tammy said...

I love what you did! Seriously so cute.

Beverly @ The Buzz said...

Great idea! Turned out really cute. Unfortunately, it would remain blank most of the time at my house--I never know what's for dinner!

Pam said...

What a perfect project and tutorial; love the repurposing on this door.

Saimi said...

How do you do that? I would never think of something creative to do with a old cupboard door.

I love it!!

Laura said...

What a great idea! I could use one of these.

I'm hosting a blog party right now and would love it if you linked up!
http://www.iamalongfortheride.blogspot.com

CraftyMummy said...

This is great! Love the idea of recycling a door for it!

Kristy said...

Great project! I can't wait to see your others! I'm you're newest follower1

Craft Envy said...

This is too cute! I think I would actually make a menu if it could look that cute! We'd love to have you link up to our party today!

http://nv-craftenvy.blogspot.com

Laura said...

I love it!!

Thanks for linking up to Saturday is Crafty Day at along for the ride!

Miz Carla said...

Brilliant idea, and it looks great!!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

What a great idea. It turned out perfect. Mine would be left blank all the time. I am a terrible meal planner.

Megan Lee said...

What a cute idea! It turned out great!

Nancy said...

I LOVE this! It's so cute! Man, this would save me having to answer the 'what's for dinner' question I hear many times a day! I'd just point to the sign! So cute!!!

mishebe said...

love this!

One Cheap B*tch said...

This looks amazing! Well done!

Jeanine

Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! said...

Nice project. I would love it if you would link this up in Modern Craftswoman Monday. Very well done. Rory

Sherry said...

What a great idea for repurposing a door. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed my visit here and decided to follow your blog so I can come back again.

Rainy Day Farm said...

Forget selling that at the bazaar, I want to buy it! That turned out so adorable. Great idea as usual!

CINNIBONBON said...

Such a creative idea!! Totally enjoyed it.