Friday, May 25, 2012

ADDING AGE TO NEW FLAGS

I have a project I am doing for the Fourth of July for my entryway but I thought I would share part of it now.  I found these flags at Michael's for only .50 each.  They are quite new and white looking however I wanted the ones that are a little more aged.  I thought about buying some tea and staining them but then remembered something I had at home.


Here is the new flag as it came from the store.


I bought this walnut ink awhile ago and just put it away and kind of forgot about it.  It worked great for this project.  I just spritzed it lightly over the entire flag and achieved the look I was going for.


Here it is after spraying it.

 Here is a side by side comparison.

And here they are in the glass cylinders I am going to display them in.
Another hint I have about this project is to buy the glass cylinders at the Dollar Store.  I priced them at both Michael's and Jo Ann's.  They were $3.99 and $4.99 respectively.   They measure 7" tall by 3" across.  The flags are about 25" tall.   Total price for this project: $9 ($6 for the flags and $3 for the vases).

I hope to get the whole project completed soon so I will be back for the final photo's.

2 comments:

Jane Isfeld Still said...

Hurry! I can't wait to see them :P

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

I like them new and aged. I agree about checking out Dollar stores for supplies like this. Always great deals to be had.