Saturday, March 7, 2009

EASTER BLOCKS

My daughter, Tasha, saw some cute blocks that spelled "EASTER" in a magazine recently and decided she wanted to make some for herself. She has helped me do quite a few bazaars where we make and sell wood signs and other things with vinyl lettering on them. It seems we never get to make anything cute for ourselves so that's what we set out to do.



First off, we get our trusty old chop saw out and cut the wood. For these blocks we used 2x4's and 2x6's.




Next we sand and paint the blocks. While she is doing that I go to my computer and work on the lettering. I choose the font and then play around with the size and placement of the letters. Choosing a font can be a little time consuming because you want to choose just the right look for the particular project.

Applying the lettering is not that hard. You just make sure the paint is good and dry and carefully peel away the backing paper so that the letters stick to the tape. (You will have a mirror image of the letter, so don't panic). Then you line up the letter on the piece of wood, being careful not to press down until you have the placement right. Once you have the letter where you want it then press with the edge of a credit card or the back of a spoon to make sure the letters stick. Gently peel off the top piece of tape and TA DA! you are a pro.





Didn't they turn out cute. When I make my set I think I will put cute bunny ribbon around the outside of each block with a bow on top. I will try and get my set done soon and post a picture. I think I will also glitter my set. Tasha doesn't want to glitter hers because she has a little guy who would probably pick it all off. (Three year old little boys just don't understand "glitter")

3 comments:

Rainy Day Farm said...

If I am a good girl and post a nice comment on how cute those blocks are do I get some? Those are adorable. Way to go Tash!

Frost said...

wwo! thank you so much! so, do you sell the lettering somewhere?

Peggyann said...

Wow, what a great blog! I do not consider myself crafty, but I want to be. You are all an inspiration. I even dragged my old chipped oak bookcase downstairs to start re-finishing. I am motivated!