Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Wet, Wet, Wet!

Oh my goodness, we here in Washington are about to drown. The rivers, streams, creeks, ruts, mud puddles etc. are so full and overflowing right now. Right here in my hometown we have had over 6 inches of rain since last night. Our ground is so saturated with water that you need rubber boots to walk across it. I know there is at least 4-5 inches of water standing under our house. Thankfully it isn't up into the wood.
We had a similar storm about 13 years ago here when we lived in an area that was flooded. Some of the homes around us actually got water in them but luckily our home was spared with water only up to the foundation. We could actually hear it lapping under the house. Our neighbor, just 20 feet to the north of us, had 14" of water in her house. Let me tell you I was bound and determined not to have to live through that again. Within 4 years we sold out (long enough for people to forget how bad the flooding was) and moved up on a hill. I must say that I have not regretted one moment making that move. My husband has to agree with me now but he sure wasn't too keen on moving anywhere to begin with. He is sleeping peacefully right now even though it is pouring cats and dogs out side and I will soon join him and have some sweet peaceful dreams myself. I do feel bad for people who are having to deal with the flooding of their homes because I know the stress it causes (let alone taking years off your life).

No comments: