Monday, November 7, 2016

MY MARY AND MARTHA MOMENT

     Yesterday at church I had a "Mary and Martha" moment.  I am in charge of an upcoming crafting activity for my ward (church congregation) and was talking to the Young Women's President about inviting the young women to join us.  I asked her to come with me to the foyer where I had a display set up so that I could explain what  projects we were going to be making so that she could then inform the girls.  While walking to the foyer she ran into two young women who were visibly upset, she stopped to inquire as to what the tears were about and proceeded to give them hugs and words of encouragement.  As this scene played out before my eyes I was impressed with the amount of compassion she was showing.  I realized that I was in such a hurry to show her the projects that I had walked right past these two  young sisters.  I was a woman on a mission and completely missed an opportunity to show charity to them.  As I thought about this later in the day I realized that I was definitely having a "Martha" kind of day and she was being "Mary".
     Now I don't mean to berate myself because I truly had a job to do which was a righteous endeavor, however I am glad I had the experience that taught me that sometimes most times people are more important than things.  I will now look for opportunities for Christ-like charity as was shown to me by this sweet sister.

2 comments:

Saimi said...

Aw Connie what a sweet post. Im afraid I have a lot of Martha moments - I'm so bad with tunnel vision I'm sure I miss a lot of opportunities to help someone. What a great example that YW is. Thanks for posting this, it's a great reminder what's important!

They chose the right person for the craft!

Momza said...

Thanks for sharing your experience, Connie. I appreciate that we all those moments of being a "Mary" or a "Martha". Sometimes we are the answer to pain and others we are the support for those who are.
Much love!